You’ve already read Marmozets’ recent Upset cover feature, so you know all about their new record ‘Knowing What You Know Now’, right? Well, no, actually. Here are five more things the band feel you really need to know about their latest opus.
1. We wanted to try something new, so we decided to go with Gil Norton to produce the record. We recorded everything completely separately rather than having drums done first or everyone in the room at the same time which I guess is usually the norm. We had the bass finished before the drums… vocal tracks were done on songs before some of the guitars were done and recorded a lot of the drums separately for example kick drum for a full take only then hats etc. It gave it a different dynamic and unique sound for sure.
2. We hope it makes people feel stronger within themselves. We love it when our fans respond saying a certain song helped them through a dark time or within a rough patch in their lives. It’s not something we intentionally do, but when we hear feedback like that, it makes it all worthwhile.
3. It was written when we were just coming out of a long stint of songwriting. We were in a bit of a pickle trying to get songs we felt we were happy with and what were good enough to follow the first record. We had this crazy couple of weeks where every song we wrote were like “YES!” This is more like it. Pretty much all the songs on the record were written within this boost of our songwriting capabilities.
4. It’s a real step up for us. Everything we’ve had to go through in the past couple of years influenced different moments on the record. We feel more connected to what we’re writing and are genuinely over the moon with how it all came out.
5. We had a lot of space to add our own stamp to the songs individually. Which goes back to what I said before. The tracks have a lot more room in them and the way we recorded we could just add what we wanted to each track. Some stuff obviously didn’t make it, but a lot of stuff wouldn’t have if we’d have recorded it a different way to the way we did.
Marmozets’ album ‘Knowing What You Know Now’ is out now.